Malibu Drug Rehab Center
Admittance to a Detox Program
Entering a drug rehab program in Malibu begins with medical detoxification, that is supervised by doctors, addiction psychiatrists and therapists. A medical detox allows addicts to withdraw from drugs or alcohol while being monitored by healthcare professionals experienced with working with substance abusers. During detox, rehab clients will have their psychological state and vital signs evaluated frequently to ensure the goal of detoxification is achieved–to remove all traces of drugs or alcohol from the client’s body as safely and comfortably as possible.
Patients admitted to a medical detox program are given medications to reduce the unpleasant side effects of withdrawing from addictive substances. For heroin and other opioid dependencies, addicts may be given buprenorphine or Naloxone to suppress cravings for opioids. Anti-anxiety medications work well for stimulant addicts who often suffer severe anxiety and depression during withdrawal from methamphetamine or cocaine. Crisis counseling is always available to patients in detox who are feeling real emotions for the first time and have difficulty coping with them.
Objectives of addiction counseling and psychotherapy include:
- Helping addicts admit they have a chronic disease that requires a lifelong commitment to defeating it.
- Resolving past issues that have contributed to the addict turning to drugs for escape
- Teaching addicts how to immediately recognize cravings and using cognitive behavioral therapy and stress management techniques to rechannel urges into more productive behaviors.
- Motivating recovering addicts to achieve, value and sustain their sobriety
- Holding outpatient addicts accountable for revealing drug use to their therapists who vehemently discourage repeating such episodes.
- Working with addicts to developing problem-solving and self-regulating strategies.
- Ensuring addicts in recovery understand the importance of participating in a personalized recovery plan for the rest of their lives.
- Encouraging addicts to consciously work on improving their self-esteem and self-confidence by utilizing newly learned coping skills at work, at home and while interacting with their community.
During therapy, Malibu rehab patients should also explore any ambivalent feelings they may have regarding personal values and substance addiction. Addiction counselors also excel at describing the pros and cons of addiction and sobriety for the purpose of changing motivation from external to internal. In other words, the addict in recovery discovers a deeper desire to abstain from drugs or alcohol that does not have to do with conforming or meeting the expectations of others.
Clean and Sober
After patients are discharged from their Malibu rehab program, they must make the transition into a society that tends to stigmatize addiction. Support services such as crisis counseling, therapeutic interventions, support groups and 12-step programs are always available for recovering addicts from their rehab center or local human services programs. Additionally, anti-addiction medications are useful for suppressing cravings and easing anxiety during the first year or two of sobriety.